Employability Skills Training Courses
We offer learners a one week or two week programme, equipping them with the essential skills they need for employment. The courses and training are customised to meet the needs of different learner groups.
Topics covered include:
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Skills analysis
- Communication and problem-solving
- Customer care
- IT skills for beginners to Level 1
- Health and social care
- The application process of effective job searching, CV writing and how to tailor applications, and prepare for interviews.
If you are interested in attending any of these courses please contact us on 01732 372517 or speak to your Jobcentre adviser.
We maintain a database of job seekers who are actively looking for work in many different sectors either locally where they live in Kent or elsewhere. We have learners who are interested in undertaking an apprenticeship.
Pre-Employment Training & Sector Based Work Academies
We offer employers the option of interviewing our learners for employment following a short employer led course. We would like to this to be a solution providing service for any interested employers and we can offer services that will cater to their specific requirements. We can create funded tailored employment preparation courses to prepare the candidate for employment and the specific company culture of the employer. We have delivered bespoke courses in hospitality, retail, warehousing, security and customer care.
How it works
- Job Centre Plus selects and refers interested candidates for a specific employer.
- We can provide facilities and tutors to conduct a bespoke employer lead course.
- The employer is able to interview and select from a work ready group specifically trained to fill their current vacancies.
Employers have the opportunity of hiring a specially trained local workforce that is well placed to integrate with their industry culture.
Employers also have the opportunity to develop their relationship and create a positive legacy with their surrounding communities. In taking the action to hire through West Kent College’s employer led training they will be contributing to improving the quality of life of the local communities by economically empowering individuals and families, decreasing unemployment and supporting the educational institutions who serve the community.
These kinds of activities are actively encouraged by local government authorities and press. The employer has the opportunity to generate positive news regarding its contributions to its communities through media and also college newsletters and communications.
We have run successful employer-led pre-employment training for large employers such as B&M. We are currently working with Bupa, Hallmark Care, Tilmanstone Salads, Berry Gardens and a consortium of companies through our work with McArthur Glen Designer Outlets on the Sector-Based Work Academies
Topics covered include
- Literacy and Numeracy assessment
- Information advice and guidance and a personal development plan
- Customer service
- Communications and problem-solving
- Introduction to IT in the workplace
- First Aid
- Food Safety
- Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Manual Handling
- Money Management
- Job matching, CV writing, interview preparation and techniques, careers advice and guidance.