This qualification is designed as an introduction to counselling concepts and is suitable for anyone wanting to develop their communication skills, reflection and personal awareness in a work setting or in their personal lives. Learners will not be able to progress to employment as a counsellor on completion of this award. For those learners intending to become practising counsellors progress through level 3 and 4 qualifications is required.
The L2 ABC Award in Counselling Concepts (QCF) is designed to provide:
- Education and training for those who may use counselling skills when working with others
- Opportunities for those who may use counselling skills when working with others to achieve a nationally-recognised, level 2, vocationally-specific qualification
- Opportunities for learners to gain a nationally-recognised, vocationally-specific qualification to assist in entering employment in fields where strong communication skills are important
- The knowledge, understanding and skills learners need as an introduction to counselling skills
- Opportunities for learners to develop skills and techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
The course is studied through three mandatory units:
1. The Professional Context of Counselling
2. Communication Skills in Helping Relationships
3. An Introduction to Personal Development
This course is useful for a wide range of work roles that involve good communication skills, reflection and personal awareness. For example, teaching, nursing and social work.