Ideally suited to students who would like to gain a qualification whilst continuing to develop their performance levels, this course provides you with the theory-based principles that relate to practical activities. Throughout the course you will gain an understanding of sports coaching, fitness training, be able to analyse sports performance and learn how to organise professional sporting events.
Extended Diploma and 90 Credit Diploma
- Fitness training and programming
- Sports coaching
- Sports development
- Practical team sports
- Sports injuries
- Sports nutrition
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- The physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise
- Functional skills/GCSE - English and Maths (90 Credit Only)
- Work experience in sport
- The athletes' lifestyle
- Exercise for specific groups
- Talent Identification and development in sport
- Psychology for sports performance
- Organising sports events
- Physical education and the care of children and young people
- Sports facilities and operational management
- Sport and exercise massage
Students will be assessed throughout the course using assignments, tests and practical observations.
Students may have the opportunity to undertake additional short qualifications as part of their course. These are designed to support future careers.
In addition to standard college equipment, students will need appropriate sports clothing for practical activities.
This course is linked to our Sports Teams and represents an exciting opportunity for aspiring sports professionals. Our Sports Teams offer competitive fixtures, professional coaching and the opportunity to develop your skills further.
90 Credit Diploma - Successful students can progress into the second year of the Extended Diploma or into employment.
You can progress onto Higher Education, professional qualifications or employment.