Suited to students who would like to gain a qualification whilst continuing to develop their performance levels, this course provides you with the theory-based principles that relate to practical activities. You will gain an understanding of sports coaching, fitness training, be able to analyse sports performance and learn how to organise professional sporting events.
You will study:
• Anatomy and physiology
• Fitness training and programming for health, sport and well-being
• Professional development in the sports Industry
• Sports leadership
• Practical sports performance
• Coaching for performance
• Research methods in sport
• Development and provision of sport physical activity
• Investigating business in sport and the active leisure industry
• Skill acquisition in sport
• Application of fitness testing
• Sports psychology
• Principles and practices for outdoor and adventurous activities
• Sports performance analysis
Students may have the opportunity to undertake additional short qualifications as part of their course. These are designed to support future careers.
Successful students can progress into higher education or into employment.
This course is linked to our sports enrichment programme representing an exciting opportunity for students to develop sporting expertise and study skills. Students on the course are expected to take part in a variety of enrichment activities each week. Opportunities range from taking part in one of our College sports teams, working in the community or undertaking further study and courses within the department.
Students will be assessed throughout the course using assignments, tests, externally marked exams and practical observations.
In addition to standard College equipment, students will need appropriate sports clothing for practical activities.