Students waiting to graduate at Canterbury Cathedral

Applying for University Study

Applications for full-time university-level programmes should all be directed through the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) online system. It is no longer possible to apply in paper form.

Using UCAS Apply

Before you can begin your application you first need to register with the UCAS Apply system.  If you are applying through a school or another college they'll probably have a 'buzzword' which you will need to use.  When you have completed the form you will need to send the application to your referee who will check and approve the application.  This, together with their reference, will then be sent to UCAS.

If you are not applying through a school or college you will need to answer a set of eligibility questions before you can start your application.  You will also need to supply a reference from someone who knows you well enough to be able to write about you.

The good news is that this form does not have to be completed in one go.  You will be able to use your username and password to log onto your application form and update it as many times as you need.  Once it is sent through you will not be able to change it or add any more information.

When to apply

The initial deadline for applications is usually 15th January however, if you cannot quite make up your mind then don't worry.  Although a number of our programmes fill up quickly, like most universities, at West Kent College we considers late applications where possible if places are still available.

Searching for courses

Whilst you will be studying at West Kent College, all of our higher education programmes are offered either through the University of Kent, the University of Greenwich or Canterbury Christ Church University. These awarding bodies are identified on the separate programme pages and, to apply, you will need to search the relevant university on UCAS.

After applying

We’ll assess your application against our admissions criteria and, for most programmes, you’ll be invited to an interview. You’ll be asked to bring the certificates for your qualifications and, if you’re applying for an art and design programme, a portfolio of your work. If you apply via UCAS, you’ll be able to monitor the progress of your application via UCAS Track.

Applications for part-time programmes

Applicants for part-time programmes (with the exception of the Diploma in Education & Training) should apply using the College’s Application Form. This form is available for download here.

Applicants for the Diploma in Education & Training (DET) should apply via an application form specific to this programme, which can be viewed here.

There is no closing date for applications but many programmes are over-subscribed, so please apply as early as possible. We’ll normally consider all applications received before the September the programme is meant to start in.